INDIANAPOLIS – Ivy Tech Community Colleges’ Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) organization was recently awarded 20 international awards at the annual Phi Theta Kappa International Convention at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center in Nashville, Tenn.
Ivy Tech chapters from across the state of Indiana gathered at the Catalyst 2017 Phi Theta Kappa annual international convention. Keynote speakers included television personality Dr. Jennifer Arnold and Mythbusters co-presenter Jamie Hyneman. Attendees had the opportunity to compete in scholar bowls, speech competitions and educational forums.
“Phi Theta Kappa’s international awards represent the pinnacle of student and chapter achievement within PTK. These awards are a testament to the breadth of Phi Theta Kappa member activity that occurs each and every day at our Ivy Tech campuses. I am proud of their accomplishments and grateful to what they give back to our campuses and communities,” said Jennie Vaughan, Ivy Tech Bloomington Chancellor and Indiana Ambassador to Phi Theta Kappa.
The 20 international awards received by Ivy Tech at the awards gala include:
- Distinguished Regional Officer Teams– Moriah Mercer, Kokomo Campus; Carrie Sherer, Logansport Campus; Anita Smith, Richmond Campus; Brian Colburn, Indianapolis Campus; and Elizabeth Humphrey, Logansport Campus
- Distinguished Regional Officers– Carrie Sherer, Logansport Campus
- Distinguished Chapter Officer Award– Brian Colburn, Indianapolis Campus
- Alumni Award of Appreciation– Gloria Turner, Indianapolis Campus
- Distinguished Advisor Award – Jennifer Morton, Lawrenceburg Campus
- Continued Excellence Award for Advisors– Leo Studach, Logansport Campus
- Honors Case Study Award, Honorable Mention– Beta Phi Tau, Marion Campus
- Distinguished College Project Award– Alpha Phi Eta, Terre Haute Campus; Alpha Phi Pi, Kokomo Campus; Beta Gamma Zeta, Logansport Campus
- Distinguished Honors in Action Award – Alpha Phi Pi, Kokomo Campus; Alpha Sigma Kappa, Lafayette Campus
- Distinguished Honors in Action Theme Awards– Alpha Phi Pi, Kokomo Campus; Alpha Sigma Kappa, Lafayette Campus; and Beta Gamma Zeta, Logansport Campus
- Distinguished Chapter Awards– Alpha Phi Pi, Kokomo Campus; Alpha Sigma Kappa, Lafayette Campus; Beta Gamma Zeta, Logansport Campus
- Top 100 Chapters– Alpha Phi Eta, Terre Haute Campus; Alpha Phi Pi, Kokomo Campus; Alpha Sigma Kappa, Lafayette Campus; Beta Gamma Zeta, Logansport Campus
- Most Distinguished Chapter Finalists– Beta Gamma Zeta, Logansport Campus
Phi Theta Kappa is the largest and most prestigious honor society recognizing students pursuing two-year degrees. In its 99 year history, Phi Theta Kappa has inducted over 3 million members and is comprised of nearly 1,300 chapters in nine nations. Through academic recognition and providing scholarship opportunities for students receiving two year degrees, the organization instills the value of service to college and community while also providing programming to help students develop leadership and communication skills.
About Ivy Tech Community College
Ivy Tech Community College is the state’s largest public postsecondary institution and the nation’s largest singly accredited statewide community college system. Ivy Tech has campuses throughout Indiana. It serves as the state’s engine of workforce development, offering affordable degree programs and training that are aligned with the needs of its community along with courses and programs that transfer to other colleges and universities in Indiana. It is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association.