Ivy Tech-Northeast offers a certificate in Cyber Technology due to an awarded grant by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration as part of the National STEM Consortium. Courses for the program begin in January 2013. Interested individuals can train for a new career in as little as one year and work toward industry certifications in Cisco CCNA and CompTIA Network+, A+ and Security+. Recipients of the certificate would qualify for jobs in cyber customer service and technical support, which may require a background check at hiring organizations.
Students will learn to succeed on the job with:
- Hands-on, skills-based projects
- Consistent, convenient, compressed schedule
- Flexible “hybrid delivery” via classroom and online instruction
- Foundation skills to help students succeed in technical courses
- Critical thinking and problem solving based on real-life situations
- Business skills in communication, resume writing and interview techniques
This U.S. Department of Labor grant targets workers who have lost their job due to the adverse effects of foreign trade, and other unemployed and underemployed workers. Veterans receive priority of service. Programs are eligible for financial aid: Trade Adjustment Assistance, Workforce Investment Act, Pell Grants.